Application for the MSBOA Marching Band Adjudicator Workshop
Friday, July 22, 2022
Information/Application to Become an Adjudicator
for MSBOA Marching Band Festivals
**Please note that the deadline when submitting your application is Thursday, September 1, 2022 by 3:00 p.m.**
The Michigan School Band and Orchestra Association seeks highly qualified music educators to serve as adjudicators for our festivals. Evaluation of our students and ensembles holds a very high position of importance in the mission of the MSBOA. We therefore consider the qualifications of each candidate very carefully. Candidates must have a minimum of five (5) successful years (10 years preferred) teaching instrumental music and must have demonstrated a high level of achievement in their programs.
The Marching Band Adjudicator Workshop will take place in October, before the first MSBOA Executive Board Meeting. Thus, candidates may take the workshop without MSBOA Executive Board approval – with the understanding that their application may not be approved by the Board and they would not be placed on the Adjudicator List.
Persons interested in becoming an adjudicator for MSBOA's marching band festivals must apply to the Association using the application found at the end of this document. This application is reviewed by the District Executive Board that has jurisdiction over the applicant's home. Each District renders a decision, either approving or not approving the candidate. Those recommendations are submitted to the full MSBOA Executive Board for a final decision. The full Executive Board will decide on each candidate individually and may or may not agree with the District's decision. This meeting takes place at the MSBOA Fall Executive Board Meeting held in early November.
Candidates must attend the Adjudicator Workshop held in October in its entirety. After successfully completing the workshop, the candidate’s application will be sent on to the State Executive Board for consideration to be placed on the MSBOA Probationary Adjudicator list. Each candidate must then successfully adjudicate at least two (2) MSBOA marching band festivals to be placed on the Permanent Adjudicator list. The candidate will be given forms to record each festival at which they adjudicated. It is the responsibility of the adjudicator to keep the forms until the required number is attained and then submit all of them at one time to the MSBOA State Office.
- September 1, 2022 - Deadline for the submission of applications to the State Office. Be sure to have two (2) signatures of support and include the required paragraph with your submission.
- October - Applications submitted to each District for evaluation
- Tuesday, October 4, 2022 - Marching Band Adjudicator Workshop. Clare HS. $35 registration fee paid at registration. If paying in cash, please have exact change. If paying by check, make checks payable to MSBOA.
- Exact schedule and information will be available at a later date.
- November 11, 2022 - The Full Executive Board will hear the recommendations of the Districts on each candidate.
- The week of November 14, 2022 - Candidates notified of their status (accepted/not accepted).
Please click on the following link for the Application: MSBOA Marching Band Adjudicator Workshop Application and Information
For additional information, please contact:
Greg VanStrien: Vice President for Adjudication Garret Ernst: Executive Director