Information/Application to attend the MSBOA Band & Orchestra Adjudicator Workshop
Friday, September 9, 2022
Applying to Become an Adjudicator for MSBOA Band & Orchestra Festivals
The Michigan School Band and Orchestra Association seeks highly qualified music educators to serve as adjudicators for our festivals. Evaluation of our students and ensembles holds a very high position of importance in the mission of the MSBOA. We therefore consider the qualifications of each candidate very carefully. Candidates must have a minimum of five (5) successful years (ten (10) years preferred) teaching instrumental music and must have demonstrated a high level of achievement in his/her programs.
Persons interested in becoming an adjudicator for any of MSBOA’s festivals must first apply to the Association using the Application found at the end of this document. This application is reviewed by the District Executive Board that has jurisdiction over the applicant’s home. Each District renders a decision, either approving or not approving the candidate. Those recommendations are submitted to the full MSBOA Executive Board for a final decision. The full Executive Board will decide on each candidate individually and may or may not agree with the District’s decision. This meeting takes place at the MSBOA Fall Executive Board Meeting held the first full weekend in November.
Candidates that are approved must then attend the Adjudicator Workshop held on the second Saturday in December. After successfully completing the full one day workshop, the adjudicator is placed on the MSBOA Probationary Adjudicator list. Each candidate must then successfully adjudicate at least four (4) festivals in two (2) different MSBOA Districts to be placed on the Permanent Adjudicator list. The candidate will be given forms to record each festival at which he/she adjudicated. It is the responsibility of the candidate to keep the forms until the required number is obtained and then submit all of the Probationary Adjudication Forms at one time to the MSBOA State Office.
- October 3, 2022 – Deadline for the submission of applications to the State Office. The Application can be obtained by clicking on the link at the bottom of the this article. Be sure to have two (2) signatures of support and include the required paragraph with your submission.
- October – Applications will be submitted to each District for evaluation.
- November 11, 2022 – The Full Executive Board will hear the recommendations of the Districts on each candidate.
- The week of November 14, 2022 – Candidates will be notified of their status (accepted/not accepted) for the workshop.
- December 10, 2022 – Band & Orchestra Adjudicator Workshop schedule
8:30 am – 5:30 pm. Lunch is provided.
$35 registration fee paid at registration.
Site: Livonia-Stevenson High School
33500 Six Mile Rd.
Livonia, MI 48152
For additional information, please contact:
Greg VanStrien, Vice President for Adjudication Garret Ernst, Executive Director
(616) 304-5086 (517) 347-7321
Information/Application to attend the 2022 MSBOA Band & Orchestra Adjudicator Workshop